I live to eat and love to cook. Welcome to my life!

May 30, 2010

Sunday morning food love

Last night while cruising around Facebook I happened upon one of my friends from work (Blair!) who posted that she had just made Red Velvet Scones with Cream Cheese Icing....So I did what anyone would do and begged for her to share the recipe with me.

Because who doesn't love Red Velvet & Cream Cheese?

So she shared with me. :) Not only the recipe, but she also brought them in to work this morning and gifted me with one, which I promptly inhaled while standing in the kitchen.

They turned out a little more like a cookie than a scone, being soft and chewy and they are not as red as you are used to as she used dark cocoa powder, but I have to tell you that I don't care. I think they might have been even better this way and that she should re-name the recipe and claim it as her own. They were absolutely divine.

She also mentioned that this is a very kid friendly recipe, her 5 year old had a blast helping her cut out the scones in the shapes of hearts and teapots.

Thank you Blair! I might be back down to the front desk to beg for seconds very soon!

Red Velvet Scones with Cream Cheese Glaze


2 1/4 C Flour
2/3 C Sugar
1/4 C Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 C Unsalted Butter
3/4 C plus 1 T Heavy Cream, divided
1 Large Egg
2 T Red Food Coloring (may need more to get a richer color)
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 350, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl combine flour, sugar cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.

In a small bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup cream, egg, food coloring and vanilla extract. Combine cream mixture to flour mixture until dry ingredients are moistened; dough will be sticky

On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/2 in thick. Using heart shaped cookie cutter(or any really, we also used teapot shaped cookie cutter), cut scones and place on baking sheet. Brush tops evenly with 1 tbs cream.

Bake 10-12 min. Cool completely.

Cream Cheese Glaze

1 (3 oz) Pkg Cream Cheese
1 C Confectioners Sugar
1 T Heavy Cream

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix with electric mixer at low speed. Beat till smooth.
 
Using pastry bag (or Ziploc bag) pipe on cream cheese glaze.

No comments: