I live to eat and love to cook. Welcome to my life!

July 10, 2009

Beginnings....

Never thought I would have much to say that folks would want to read...but then figured, "What the hell...even if it is just me + Mom, I am fine with that"

My life is so filled with food, recipes, eating out and about along with the stories that come with it I started thinking about writing things down to share with my friends. From birth to death, celebration and depression, my life has revolved around a meal of sorts. Some are forgettable, some are memorable and some are freaking un-forgettable. Food to me makes me think of things that normally would not come to mind on a daily basis, long vacations & short road trips, holidays and get togethers and my general every day life that just keeps me fed and happy. I hope to share with you memories from me & my mom as well as recipes that have sustained our family on every imaginable holiday, birthday and every day life celebration

Tonight I am making Gumbo my moms way....Turkey Keilbasa, chicken, okra and the holy trinity seasoned with gumbo file (aka sassafras) and topped with splashes of tabasco. My sweetie...he says he doesn't like Okra, but we will see if he flicks it out of the way or decides that is is kind of OK when paired with sausage. It might not be authentic New Orleans style, but damn it is good!

Mama Lynn's Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
1/3 C Flour
1T Canola or Vegetable Oil
1/2 # Chicken or Turkey Meat
1 Andouille or Keilbasa Sausage ( I *heart* the low fat turkey variety)
1 Onion, chopped
1 Large Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Large or 2 small Stalks of celery, chopped
4 Cloves of Garlic, Chopped
3 Cups of stock-Chicken is the easiest, ham-bone based is waaaay yummier!
1-15oz can of diced tomatoes with juice
2 C Chopped Okra-Fresh or frozen
4 Jalepeno Peppers, pricked all over with a knife or fork
1 Bay leaf
1 Tsp Thyme leaves
Gumbo File
S&P

Toast the flour in a small skillet untill browned and set aside. Sautee Chicken & sausage separately until browned and set both aside. Sautee Vegetables in oil in a stock pot until browned. Add flour and stir until veggies are coated. Add stock and bring to a simmer. Add Tomatoes with juice, okra (if fresh), thyme & chiles. Simmer for 30 minutes. If it is too watery, simmer down a bit more, it should be a tad thick. Add the meat and the gumbo file a bit at a time until it is thickened. Season with S&P to taste. Serve over white rice with tabasco sauce. :)

Cheers, Slaite, Salud, Cin Cin, L'Chaim...here's to good food and a good life!

2 comments:

Jeni said...

BTW...Brock ate the gumbo but asked that I please lie to him next time and tell him there is not as much okra in there :)

Overall it is not his favorite thing, but I am still allowed to make it when the cravings overcome me.

Hope G. said...

mmmm mmmm mmmm