I live to eat and love to cook. Welcome to my life!

April 4, 2010

Dedicated to my craft....

Quick post on Easter Sunday with my family.....Dinner tonight is at David and Riki's....one of two "other" sets of parents I have. David is trying something new and is going to BBQ a prime rib for our meal this evening. Being that there will be no drippings with which to make au jus with, Riki asked that I contribute to the meal with au jus and horseradish sauce for our main dish.

Au jus was a breeze....roasted neck and rib bones and some veggies made killer stock which was reduced to 1/4 last night.

Today, Brock and I tackled the horseradish. Tackled you ask? Yes, tackled.

First you wash the root and scrub all the dirt off.....



then you peel and slice in to chunks big enough to fit in the food processor.



Then you put on your respirator.



And then you hit the switch.

And if you don't have a respirator at hand (Brock has 2, he is so prepared!), then you hold your breath and run away. Far far away. Then take a deep breath, hold it and go turn the machine off and run away again.

If you don't, you'll be sorry.

Then add about a cup of vinegar per pound of horseradish to neutralize it (keep holding your breath), add salt to taste and store in the fridge. You can also add sour cream to it to make it the creamy variety. :)

Bon Apetit and Happy Easter!

No comments: